Re: Blank Node Identifiers and RDF Dataset Normalization

On 2013-02-26, at 18:28, Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com> wrote:
> On 2013-02-26, at 17:46, Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote:
>
>> Jena users find the default graph concept useful:
>>
>> 1/ When there is one graph being published
>>
>> 2/ As the union of the named graphs
>>
>> 3/ As a single place to put the manifest
>>
>> Conclusion: you don't have to use it if you don't want to.
>>
>> (all well worn points)
>
> Right, if people are genuinely finding it useful, I don't think it's reasonable to ask for it to be removed.
>
> 1-3 above /could/ be handed perfectly well in other ways, in a pure quad system. However, they weren't. C'est la vie.

This is a good illustration of the reason I'm so nervous about incorporating "neat tricks" into our specs without real-world experience of their consequences. It's extremely hard to remove them afterwards, and can take some time for people to realise that they are pain points.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris
Experian