Re: Blank Node Identifiers and RDF Dataset Normalization

On 2013-02-25, at 17:12, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Monday, February 25, 2013 4:46 PM, Steve Harris wrote:
>
>> I believe it would be more correct to say that graph labels do not HAVE
>> to demote the graph, they're allowed to if you want them to.
>>
>> Regardless, the example is valid regardless on whatever graph labelling
>> semantics are being used - within some system with a known relationship
>> between graph labels and metadata.
>>
>> If the graph label refers to the document which was parsed, and the
>> metadata refers to the parsing (which is a very common situation), then
>> the example is equally valid.
>>
>> I think you may be attaching too much important to the idea of
>> denoting.
>

> Yes, maybe I am. The future will show.

I think the past has shown quite conclusively.

Graph identifier URIs have been in use for easily 10 years, the URI denoting the graph is probably one of the rarer situations. It's not caused any problems that I'm aware of.

I'd agree that reusing one URI to mean both a person and a graph (for e.g.) is ugly modelling, and should be discouraged, but that's a separate issue.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris
Experian