Re: Problem with auto-generated fragment IDs for graph names

On Feb 14, 2013, at 10:36 AM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2013, at 11:13 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>
>> ... It amounts to treating the labelling pairing as an equation: <name> = <graph>,
>
> actually <name> = [ <graph> ]
>
> where [   ] indicates some form of quotation. which makes better sense.

I also see value in being able to reference a graph without naming it. In Manu's case, AFAIU, the problem with absolutely naming the graph containing the statements is that it opens up the protocol to various attack vectors. The nature of payment messages is that they don't have a base IRI, but it would still be useful to be able to describe the message contents using RDF. Using a document-local IRI is sort of an oxymoron, particularly if the document doesn't, itself, have a location. Using something like a urn:graph:1 is also problematic, as if the documents are ever manifest within a datastore, there would be a number of collisions on this graph identifier.

For quoting, I support using the normal TriG/JSON-LD mechanism for identifying graphs, rather than a literal serialized in some format, such as I believe came up before:

_:foo dc:created "today"; :quotedGraph ":s :p :o"^^rdf:TurtleGraphLiteral .

binding a concrete syntax to it's abstract representation (as a literal) is not general across formats, and does not convenient expose the statements of the quoted graph. Being able to refer to statements in a graph, without providing an IRI to name that graph is useful, as Eric has pointed out.

{_:foo dc:created "today" }
_:foo { :s :p :o }

I, for one, always supported the name of a graph as a denoting that graph.

Gregg