Re: Concepts (almost) ready

On Dec 17, 2013, at 11:29 AM, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de> wrote:

> Pat,

>>> You are right.
>>>
>>> How about simply lowercasing the MAY? It's not meant as something that's optional for conformance, but simply to indicate a possibility. So, MAY in the RFC2119 sense is inappropriate.
>>
>> agreed.
>>
>>> Alternatively, “can be shared”.
>>
>> All improvements, but they still don't rule out the unfortunate reading. I think extra words are needed to do that, unfortunately.
>
> I’m worried about making this much more wordy, and would prefer not to talk about blank node identifiers there.
>
> Technically speaking, the sentence is unnecessary anyway. In the absence of a statement that requires the blank nodes in distinct graphs to be disjoint, having shared blank nodes is allowed. Right?

Well, yes technically, but in fact it was universally assumed in practice that this could not happen, even though the specs didn't say that explicitly, so I think this might be even more confusing.

> The sentence is just there to dispel a historic misconception. Drawing even more attention to that old misconception will only confuse future readers, I think.
>
> So, after Markus’ latest edits this now reads:
>
> [[
> Blank nodes can be shared between graphs in an RDF dataset.
> ]]

Lets just leave that alone (with one 'be') and I will stop whingeing.

> How about *removing* this sentence, and instead *adding* a new one to the informative note below:
>
> [[
> There is no requirement for the blank nodes in different graphs of an RDF dataset to be disjoint. For example, the same blank node could occur in a triple of the default graph and in a different triple of a named graph.
> ]]
>
> Would that work for you?

It would be fine to add this for emphasis, but don't delete the other sentence.

Pat

> Richard

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)