RE: Made rdf:HTML/XMLLiteral non-normative

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:18 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
[...]
> > So, to move forward, my proposal would simply be
> >
> > PROPOSAL: Drop the "If the IRI ...#XMLLiteral/#HTML is recognized then
it
> > refers to the datatype rdf:XMLLiteral/rdf:HTML" statements in section
5.4 of
> > RDF Concepts.
>
> In that case, an implementation that accepts "<not>well-
> formed"^^rdf:XMLLiteral would be conforming. This behaviour would not
> constitue a bug. It would not be broken.

No, and even if we made rdf:XMLLiteral normative that wouldn't change since
it is optional. Yeah, implementations that claim to recognize rdf:XMLLiteral
and would accept it would be non-conforming. That's suboptimal but the more
important point IMO is that two implementations that do recognize
rdf:XMLLiteral will not be *able* to fully interoperate because the l2v
mapping is not stable. Do I miss something here?

> The DOM4 problem we have is with the value space only. There's no
> problem with the lexical space. There's every reason to *require*
> implementations to do the right thing for the lexical space. The
> lexical space is more critical for interoperability anyways.

The lexical space of rdf:HTML is "the set of Unicode [UNICODE] strings" and
thus doesn't add any constraints. Again, do I miss something here?

--
Markus Lanthaler
@markuslanthaler