Re: Proposed resolution needed: ISSUE-148: IRIs do *not* always denote the same resource

On 12/17/13 10:37 AM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Why are we even discussing “identify”? David Booth is fine with the word “denote” that is currently in the text, and objected to changing it to “identify”.
Because Markus (from my interpretation of his comments) was inferring
that "denote" was going to be replaced with "identify".

> I repeat my earlier proposal (in ever so slightly modified form):
>
> [[
> By design, IRIs have global scope. Thus, two different appearances of an IRI denote the same resource. Violating this principle constitutes an IRI collision [WEBARCH].
> ]]
>
> David *almost* agreed to this, and I address the “almost” part here:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-wg/2013Dec/0216.html
>
> This is as good a compromise as we are likely to get. It’s a minimal change, it is obviously editorial, and it is backed by authoritative references and precedent and therefore very defensible.
>
> Best,
> Richard

+1

I don't have a problem with "denote". Markus (as I read it) was
inferring that "denote" was going to be replaced with "identify".

Kingsley