Re: Normative reference from Concepts to Semantics

What exactly is the intended implication of having the reference be informative? If this implies that Semantics is not a normative part of the overall spec, then I must formally object to this. As I recall, the 2004 specification documents all cross-referred normatively to one another, as a matter of design.

Pat

On Dec 16, 2013, at 10:28 AM, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de> wrote:

> On 16 Dec 2013, at 16:32, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Another question.. currently Concepts normatively references Semantics which
>> means we have a circular dependency. Is this what we want or shall we
>> convert the reference to be informative?
>>
>> Even though it could be argued either way, I think I would prefer to make it
>> informative. Thoughts (or has this already been discussed)?
>
> +1 to an informative reference. RDF Concepts defines the structure, RDF Semantics defines how to interpret the structure. This seems like the correct layering to me.
>
> I note that RDF Semantics is only referenced in informative material, so it’s not clear what a normative reference would mean. A normative reference doesn't seem to be necessary to define any of the things that RDF Concepts normatively defines.
>
> Best,
> Richard

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)