Re: Multigraphs example proposal in RDF 1.1 Primer

On 12/13/13 11:59 AM, Yves Raimond wrote:
> 1) After the TriG listing, adding something like "RDF 1.1 doesn't
> prescribe any specific semantics for datasets. Possible semantics are
> described in [DATASET-SEMANTICS]. In this example dataset we assume
> graph names represent the source of the RDF data held within the
> corresponding graphs, i.e. by retrieving<http://example.org/bob>  we
> would get access to the four triples in that graph. In the default graph
> we associate provenance information with the<http://example.org/bob>
> graph."

How about something like this:

"RDF 1.1 doesn't prescribe any specific semantics for datasets. That
said, there are concrete syntaxes associated with RDF (e.g., NQuads and
TriG) that enable the creation of RDF documents comprised of statements
(triples) qualified (or partitioned) by an IRI that denotes the location
of the aforementioned document. The example that follows demonstrates
the how such a document would be constructed using NQuads or TriG.

   In this example dataset we assume graph names represent the source of
the RDF data held within the corresponding graphs, i.e. by retrieving
<http://example.org/bob> we would get access to the four triples in that
graph. In the default graph we associate provenance information with the
<http://example.org/bob> graph."

My rough sketch example, for which appropriate substitution can apply
re. final product:

TriG:
<http://example.org/bob>
{<#s> <#p> <#o>} .

NQuads:

<http://example.org/bob> <http://example.org/bob#s>
<http://example.org/bob#p> <http://example.org/bob#o> .

Please note:

We shouldn't conflate the needs of a SPARQL implementation with the
semantics of RDF based structured data representation and document
content construction practices and patterns. This kind of conflation
only leads to problems.

[1] http://bit.ly/Jfs12P -- illustrating the world-view (re. RDF and a
Sementic Web) behind the example above.

Hope this helps.