Re: Putting metadata in the "default" graph Re: Dataset Syntax - checking for consensus

On 2012-09-27, at 12:59, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> On 27/09/12 12:52, Steve Harris wrote:

>>> Because different customers have different requirements.  I come
>>> across both cases, but not necessary with the same data.
>>
>> I can imagine that situation in theory, but what real-world usecase
>> leads you to use named graph, but where the metadata applied to the
>> whole document?
>>
>> It seems like a corner case.
>>
>> Database dumps are one possibility (but then you'd often have both
>> dataset-level and graph-level metadata), but those are more commonly
>> in nquads formant, from what I've seen.
>
> Lee's claim was that the default graph was "perhaps not widely used." and "it's a mistake to specify that anything important be put in that graph."
>
> I was commenting that it's not "compatibility" when there is an important use case.

OK, but I don't think that literally "metadata in the default graph" can be an important use case, as so many systems don't support default graphs. Otherwise they would support, or users would complain, or something.

Metadata in the TriG/whatever file might be an important use case - I've not seen it done, but I guess people do. That's different though.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO
Garlik, a part of Experian