Re: Dataset Syntax - checking for consensus

On Sep 25, 2012, at 19:14, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure how much progress we'll be able to make on dataset semantics tomorrow, so I thought I'd draft some proposals on dataset syntax.   The chairs can put this on the agenda is they like (but it's too short notice for these decisions to be binding yet).  I'm thinking it would be useful to see how close we are to agreement on these issues.
>
> If you followup with votes, please use -1 for Formal Objection, 0 for abstain, +1 for approve.   Numbers in between are fine, too.
>
> PROPOSED: We will produce a W3C Recommendation for a dataset syntax, similar to TriG and to SPARQL's named graph syntax.

+1

> PROPOSED: We'll request a media-type for this syntax which is different from the media-type for Turtle.  (That is, we will not consider this language to supplant Turtle and take over the name, becoming the new "Turtle", as was once proposed.)

+1

> PROPOSED: Our dataset syntax will allow for the expression of empty named graphs, whatever their semantics might be (to be decided). The syntax is an empty curly-braces expression, as in "<g> { }".

+0

> PROPOSED: Our dataset syntax will have some standard mechanism (to be determined within the next few weeks) through which a Dataset serialization can include some RDF data about the Dataset (that is, some metadata in the form of an RDF graph).

+1 (I think this is important)

> Below, there are groups of proposals which are alternative solutions to a design issue.   If you approve of more than one of the alternatives, please vote "+2" for your favorite.
>
> * Name of the dataset syntax
>
> PROPOSED: We will call our recommended dataset syntax "trig", capitalized to Trig as needed.
> PROPOSED: We will call our recommended dataset syntax "TriG", but informally and in the media type, "trig".
> PROPOSED: We will call our recommended dataset syntax "TriG", and use that capitalization everywhere.

+0 to all.  We need a name, but I have no strong opinion.  If I need to propose, I suggest keeping TriG with a media type of text/trig.

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, a "=" MAY appear between the name and the graph.

+1

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, a "=" MUST appear between the name and the graph.
> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, a "=" MUST NOT appear between the name and the graph.

+0 to both.

> * Use of the "graph" keyword, which MUST be used in SPARQL and MUST NOT be used in traditional TriG.
>
> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, the case-insensitive keyword "graph" MAY appear before the name, in a name-graph pair.

+0

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, the case-insensitive keyword "graph" MUST appear before the name, in a name-graph pair.

-0.5

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, the case-insensitive keyword "graph" MUST NOT appear before the name, in a name-graph pair.

-0.5

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, triples of the dataset's default graph MAY be surrounded by curly braces.

+0

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, triples of the dataset's default graph MUST be surrounded by curly braces.

+0.5

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, triples of the dataset's default graph MUST NOT be surrounded by curly braces.

-0.5

> * Some designs for carrying for metadata
>
> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, we'll say that metadata goes in the default graph

+0.5, especially if it can be aligned with SPARQL service descriptions.

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, we'll say that the default graph goes inside curly braces and the metadata goes outside curly braces

-0, I'm nervous about this but won't fight it.

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, we'll say that metadata goes inside a set curly braces after a keyword "meta".

-0.5.  Yuck.

> PROPOSED: In out dataset syntax, we'll have a keyword "meta" followed by "default" or the name of a named graph, to indicate to readers where the metadata is.

-0.5.

Regards,
Dave