Re: Are you planning to use the Dataset Semantics?

On 26-09-2012 08:07, Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2012, at 12:55 AM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:

>>> Sandro, how can you use metadata *at all* without some way to force a
>>> URI to denote a graph? When you use the URI in the metadata RDF, what
>>> (semantic or even pragmatic) constraint ensures that what it denotes
>>> there is the graph that you have in mind? Or indeed, that it is a
>>> graph at all?
>>
>> Most metadata in the world are provided without any formal semantics that enforces denotation. You know it's metadata about something because it follows the specs.
>
> Most metadata (in fact, most data) is provided in a context where no semantic claims are made. The semantic web claims to be more than this, and to have a globally coherent, formal, semantics. Without that, the semantic web is just a random muddle of local ad-hoc conventions which may or may not be compatible with one another, just like the world had always been.
>
> We can give up on this global vision, and rejoice in the fact that what we are doing is pretty much just continuing the global mess that existed before the Web was even invented, in which case I see no point in even continuing to argue about semantics at all; or, we can take the sematnics seriously, and try to make it fit what people want to use the formalisms for.
>
> And just to rub the point home, the RDF specs *do* talk about semantics, so "following from the specs" might well be inderstood to mean "following from the semantics".

Pat,

Just trying to establish where this puts us.

So,
   if (1) we can't force the graph name denoting a graph container, and
   if (2) we can't define useful semantics without stating in which
cases it does
   then we need some (standardized) way to so (e.g. some kind of "<n> a
Graph" triple).

Correct?
Guus