life without dataset semantics

So, elsewhere you're proposing we not have dataset semantics.   I think
I'm okay with that, if I can still do what I'm trying to do here.
What I'm not entirely clear on is how I can do this without any
semantics....

On 09/18/2012 02:10 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

>> Here's a much better example, because it stays away from Web stuff:
>>
>>     <g1> eg:sendCorrectionsTo <mailto:sandro@w3.org>.
>>     <g1> { w3c:group35462 rdfs:label "SPARQL Working Group" }.
>>     <g2> eg:sendCorrectionsTo <mailto:ivan@w3.org>.
>>     <g2> { w3c:group44350 rdfs:label "RDFa Working Group" }.
>>

>> There's an obvious meaning to the predicate eg:sendCorrectionsTo, but
>> how do I express that meaning? Something like:
>>
>>     X eg:sendCorrectionsTo Y
>>
>>         Note: only meaningful inside a dataset which has a named
>> graph with
>>         the name X.
>>
>>         Meaning: Y is a good email address for sending corrections to
>> the
>>         information in the named graph X.
>>
>> Are you comfortable with that?
>
> I don't know if comfortable is the right word.  I don't have problems
> with anyone wanting to do that.

My question is really: do you think that definition/documentation means
what I want it to and will work the way I want it to, if the RDF WG
doesn't give Datasets any semantics?

That is, if the WG doesn't say anything about graph-name URIs connecting
to URIs as used in the default graph, can I just spell all that out (as
above) in the documentation of my predicate?

And if I can't, then what alternative do I have for sharing this kind of
information structure?

>   I can see that if this is the stance that someone wants to take with
> respect to named graphs, then one might want to have the relationship
> between IRIs and graphs work the way it works in the minimal semantics.
>
> However,  I don't think that everyone wants to have this connection.

What I'm asking for is an extremely weak connection; it's hard for me to
see how it would do any harm, since it would only come into play when
someone ask for it.