Re: Scope of blank nodes in RDF

From: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 19:20:57 +0100
Cc: public-rdf-wg@w3.org
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
On 2012-09-06, at 17:30, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> I'm not sure whether Skolem IRIs will be another way to do this or not; it kind of depends how they end up being used.    If systems maintain long term stable mappings between the generated IRIs and internal blank nodes, then that will be another way to interact with blank nodes.    (This seems like a bad practice to me, so far, but I wont be too surprised if someone ends up finding it very useful.)

Very useful. It's hard to deal with real-world FOAF for e.g. without this.

Many triplestores have ad-hoc hacks to make this possible, and Skolem URIs give a common form for it.

It would also be a viable way to represent incremental backups, or patches, but we've not implemented them.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO
Garlik, a part of Experian