Re: Draft for a "minimal dataset semantics"

I saw this when I wrote the proposal at
http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/TF-Graphs/Dataset-semantics-2.0#Extensions
and it inspired me to some extent.

But as Ivan, I don't think we will be able to reach a final consensus on
this before the end of the WG. SPARQL 1.1 Service Description is not as
much advanced as other SPARQL 1.1 specs so it's subject to change
significantly.

In any case, SPARQL 1.1 Service Description is only meant to describe a
querying service, not a reasoning service and even less the intent of
the data provider regarding the assumed semantics for a dataset.

Yet, with minimal modification it could serve for this purpose:

[]  a  sd:Dataset;
     sd:defaultEntailmentRegime  er:OWL-Direct
     sd:namedGraph  [
         a  sd:NamedGraph;
         sd:name  "http://example.org/g1"^^xsd:anyURI;
         sd:entailmentRegime  er:Simple
     ], [
         a  sd:NamedGraph;
         sd:name  "http://example.org/g1"^^xsd:anyURI;
         sd:entailmentRegime  er:RDF
     ] .

Strangely, sd:entailmentRegime has domain sd:NamedGraph (so a syntactic
structure) but sd:defaultEntailmentRegime has domain sd:Service, which
has nothing to do with the syntactic structure. To make it more
coherent, sd:defaultEntailmentRegime could have domain sd:Dataset, and
it would solve our use case perfectly.

But anyway, this could be left out of the RDF standard and provided as a
note.

AZ

Le 06/09/2012 15:11, Andy Seaborne a écrit :
> [...]
>> treated as some sort of a black boxes with no entailment at all.
>> (Incidentally, this is what we meant as 'quoting semantics' in the
>> document we put forward a few weeks ago.) But if Issue 1 is voted to
>> keep simplicity, ie, one entailment for all, then Issue 2 is, in my
>> view, moot.
>>
>> - Issue 3:
>>
>> We did discuss this and had a proposal (as you note in the text).
>> However, I do not see any consensus coming on this in the group.
>> Besides, no such syntax exists right now, at least in terms of the
>> core RDF standards, for entailments in general, regardless of named
>> graphs. So probably the answer should be 'no'.
>>
>> B.t.w., here again, this Issue really makes sense only if Issue 1 is
>> voted for a more complex approach. If not, then current practice
>> definitely dictates a 'no' answer.
>>
>> (That being said, we may define such a vocabulary in a W3C note if
>> Issue 1 is voted as 'yes'. But that is besides the point for the
>> current, rec track discussion.)
>>
>> - Issue 4:
>>
>> I think this is the same as Issue 6. See below for my vote
>>
>> - Issue 5
>>
>> I am not sure what I/we meant by 'quoting semantics' is exactly the
>> same as what you describe there and, honestly, I am not even sure I
>> understand what you write:-( But see also my comment on Issue 2.
>>
>> - Issue 6
>>
>> I think the distinction between what was called IRI-GEXT and RES-GEXT
>> is fairly minor in practice. Richard had some good arguments in favour
>> of RES-GEXT; let me add my aesthetic argument: formalizing IGEXT
>> having the resources as a domain and not the URI-s (ie, going the
>> RES-GEXT) is also in line with the way properties and classes are
>> modeled in the current RDF semantics. My vote would therefore go to
>> change the semantics in the way you describe in Issue 6 to ensure a
>> more consistent view of the world.
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> Ivan
>>
>> On Sep 5, 2012, at 16:56 , Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>

>>> Based on the recent discussions on dataset semantics, which seemed to
>>> be rather fruitful, I made a first attempt to write down the latest
>>> ideas, as David suggested me to do, in order to have a basis for
>>> discussion in our telecon.
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/TF-Graphs/Minimal-dataset-semantics
>>>
>>> I've put a short informal introduction as well as the model-theoretic
>>> formalisation.
>>>
>>> I also recorded issues that may have to be solved and can affect the
>>> semantics.
>>>
>>> This draft, at the moment, does not refer to the use cases. It only
>>> describes the semantics itself. It will be improved.
>>>

>>> Best,
>>> --
>>> Antoine Zimmermann
>>> ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol
>>> École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Saint-Étienne
>>> 42023 Saint-Étienne Cedex 2
>>> France
>>> Tél:+33(0)4 77 42 66 03
>>> Fax:+33(0)4 77 42 66 66