Re: Syntactic subsetting

On 31 Oct 2012 08:11, "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/12 10:50 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:
>>
>> RSS 1.0, XMP are best not understood as RDF vocabs, but as the package
of some syntax rules with some vocabs. We don't have a good name for such
things.

> How about structured data formats constrained by schemas where entity
relationship semantics are implicit and at best coarse-grained.

> Conflating RDF with the following is eternally problematic:
>
> 1. data model
> 2. entity relationship semantics
> 3. data representation formats.
>
> I've never seen the wisdom in passing disambiguation of the above over to
end-users and developers. It always leads to problems, as history has shown
repeatedly.

> We have similar patterns with SPARQL now, it leaves end-users and
developers to disambiguate:

> 1. query language
> 2. query dispatch and results handling protocol
> 3. query results formats.
>

> Spec writers should be responsible for disambiguation. Passing that over
to end-users and developers simply leads to the kind of confusion and
stunted adoption that we have right now.

It didn't hurt Ajax, HTML5 and Web 2.0, whatever they are.

Dan