[rdf-xml] request for opinions on the "datatyped empty literals" errata.

From: Fabien Gandon <fabien.gandon@inria.fr>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:40:49 +0100 (CET)
To: RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
Hello,

I am trying to close the last errata on the [rdf-xml] draft:
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-xml/index.html

The errata says:
[datatyped-empty-literals]
Serialization of datatyped empty literals is not anticipated by the RDF/XML grammar.
This is believed by several developers and former WG-members to be an omission in the grammar defined by the RDF/XML Syntax Specification: a bug was reported (and acknowledged by the editor), relating to the use of an rdf:datatype attribute on empty RDF properties. See the archived mailing list thread for technical details. In addition to the question of the RDF/XML grammar's syntactic completeness, note that this issue identifies a construct that occurs within RDF graphs that cannot be serialized in the RDF/XML syntax.
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/errata#datatyped-empty-literals

The initial request for errata is here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2005AprJun/0000.html
and here
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2005AprJun/0003.html

Current section "7.2.16 Production literalPropertyElt" says
start-element(URI == propertyElementURIs ), attributes == set(idAttr?, datatypeAttr?))
text()
end-element()
Note that the empty literal case is defined in production emptyPropertyElt.
(...)

Current section "7.2.21 Production emptyPropertyElt" says
start-element(URI == propertyElementURIs ),
    attributes == set(idAttr?, ( resourceAttr | nodeIdAttr )?, propertyAttr*))
end-element()
(...)

with section "7.2.7 Production propertyAttributeURIs" specifying and
anyURI - ( coreSyntaxTerms | rdf:Description | rdf:li | oldTerms )
(...)

with section "7.2.2 Production coreSyntaxTerms" including datatypes:
rdf:RDF | rdf:ID | rdf:about | rdf:parseType | rdf:resource | rdf:nodeID | rdf:datatype
(...)

My understanding here is that we could change section 7.2.21 this way:

7.2.21 Production emptyPropertyElt
start-element(URI == propertyElementURIs ),
    attributes == set(idAttr?, ( resourceAttr | nodeIdAttr | datatypeAttr)?, propertyAttr*))
end-element()

Any opinions, critics, comments, remarks, insults ?

Cheers,
--
fabien, inria, @fabien_gandon, http://fabien.info