Re: Proposal to NOT address I18N-ISSUE-183: Use of types questionable?

Eric,

I have to disagree. Neither untyped integers nor untyped doubles are hard to find; examples for integers include world rankings (e.g., 34th in the world) and unit multipliers (e.g., 9 for billions); examples for doubles include ratios (e.g., change compared to previous year) and, indeed, structured typed values:

  :landArea [ :unit :km2; :value 9.827E6 ];

The current example does not just lack rigour, but shows two examples of poor practice:

1. the use of integers where a more appropriate XSD type (gYear) exists; don't do that!
2. the use of floating point values for currencies; don't do that!

Also, a census does not produce GDP figures. Call it </stat-facts2007> or whatever.

Best,
Richard
(who often hangs out with statistics people)