Re: PROV Last Call - RDF WG review request

Antoine,

On 16 Oct 2012, at 14:49, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
> I do not see why you are comparing bundles to gboxes. We are not standardising gboxes, we standardise RDF Datasets, which are unmutable structures.

Representing a snapshot of the contents of a collection of g-boxes is a major use case for RDF datasets. The PROV use case is different; it is about representing a collection of rigidly identified PROV statements. Neither PROV-C nor RDF datasets deal explicitly with change over time, but the unspoken assumptions are different.

> They are rigid and not changing, just like PROV bundles, RDF Graphs, OWL Ontologies or FOL formulas.

Graph names in RDF datasets are *not* rigid identifiers for RDF graphs.

> Usually, given a set of formulas in a logical language, a term denotes one and only one thing (possible exception: punning) so of course a bundle IRI denotes only one thing.

Of course.

> But the question is whether the bundle identifier, when put inside a PROV document, is constrained to denote exactly the set of PROV statements that is inside the syntactic delimiter of the bundle.

That is exactly *not* the question. We don't constrain the semantics of RDF datasets, therefore I don't see the relevance of the question.

Best,
Richard