Re: Potential Formal Object from DERI over JSON-LD

On 10/18/2012 03:21 PM, David Wood wrote:
> One does not ever transform a serialization to a data model.
> Instead, one thinks of a serialization as being compliant with a data
> model or not. Alternately, one thinks of a serialization being
> convertible to another serialization format that shares the same data
> model. Right?

Correct.

> So, it makes sense to me that Manu wants to work with JSON-LD
> without ever converting it to some other RDF representation such as
> Turtle or storing it in a database. Fine.  However, if his JSON-LD
> documents *may* (however theoretically) be converted losslessly to
> Turtle or parsed into an RDF database because they share a data
> model, then it is an RDF serialization format.

Correct.

I'll re-iterate a few things I said in the G+ thread on this:

1. Web developers can often use JSON-LD without any knowledge of RDF,
   RDF Concepts, or the Semantic Web.
2. JSON-LD MAY be used as a serialization of RDF.
3. Any RDF serialization can be converted into valid JSON-LD.
4. The JSON-LD data model aligns closely with the RDF data model to the
   point that there are only pedantic differences between the two. The
   RDF WG (specifically, Richard Cyganiak) asked us to formalize those
   differences, which almost never have any impact on the use of the
   language.

Additionally, we have Richard Cyganiak aligning spec text between RDF
Concepts and JSON-LD:

https://github.com/json-ld/json-ld.org/issues/157

Gregg has done a fine job of outlining the "differences" between the
JSON-LD data model and the RDF data model - of which, there is barely
any operational effect when round-tripping from any RDF serialization. I
think Peter has come the closest to clearly defining the concern that
Michael is raising. Michael has agreed with Peter's set of
assertions/questions. So, I'll respond to Peter's e-mail in an attempt
to demonstrate that things are not as off-base as the impression that
has been painted over the past two days.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: The Problem with RDF and Nuclear Power
http://manu.sporny.org/2012/nuclear-rdf/