Re: Potential Formal Object from DERI over JSON-LD

On 10/18/12 8:12 AM, Michael Hausenblas wrote:
> Lee,
>
>> >I've read this thread, the quora question, and the G+ thread and still don't really understand what you'd be objecting to, Michael. Could you clarify? Are you objecting to the use of WG resources on this effort? Are you objecting to the branding of JSON-LD as an RDF serialization? Are you objecting to the fact that it's being produced by the RDF WG and not some other group?
> At the current point in time a FO is certainly not in order as the process doesn't allow it, so let's not go there. As you've read both the G+ and the Quora thread you may have noticed that I personally have never used the term FO. Manu introduced it (maybe intentionally to draw attention to it?) ...
>
> What I want is that either JSON-LD is indeed officially acknowledged as an RDF serialization or, if the JSON-LD proponents think RDF is not suitable, then stop working on it as an RDF WG deliverable.
>
> Cheers,
>     Michael
>
> --
> Dr. Michael Hausenblas, Research Fellow
> DERI - Digital Enterprise Research Institute
> NUIG - National University of Ireland, Galway
> Ireland, Europe
> Tel.: +353 91 495730
> http://mhausenblas.info/

All,

Does the RDF and EAV thread [1] from a while back at least provide some
beachead for resolving this matter?

We are still struggling with loose coupling of:

1. RDF the data model -- a variant of EAV with explicit (rather than
implicit) entity relationship semantics
2. Markup Languages -- various syntaxes
3. Linked Data -- a combined use of de-referencable URIs and the EAV or
RDF models for addressing Web-scale interoperable data representation,
access, and integration.

I believe JSON-LD is trying to address #2. Unfortunately, RDF syntax and
semantics (which are loosely coupled) eventually gets in the way, once
Linked Data and RDF are conflated. On one front there's a strange
insecurity about RDF, on another front there's a strange deference to
RDF arising from the politically induced osmotic pull of the
aforementioned insecurity.

All folks really want is loosely coupled interoperability that scales to
the Web. This is an achievable goal if we can just put the pieces
together the right way i.e., accept that the Web works because its
components are loosely coupled.

Putting RDF in the right box doesn't mean RDF is bad. Loosely coupling
Linked Data and RDF is mutually beneficial, since alternative approaches
(i.e., conflation) have failed and will continue to fail. And by failure
I mean: the prevalence of eternal confusion where there should be
simplicity, consistency, and comprehension re., specs, narratives, and
implementations.

Links:

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-wg/2012Sep/0003.html
-- framing RDF, EAV, and Linked Data in a much less FUD friendly way.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO