Re: PROV Last Call - RDF WG review request

On 10/10/2012 09:48 AM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
> Le 10/10/2012 15:15, Sandro Hawke a écrit :

>>> Yes, only with the exception that we are defining the syntax for
>>> datasets, which they'll have to align their documents with, if only
>>> they choose to rely on this concept.
>>>
>>> So we can tell them that they can use it for the syntactic structure,
>>> and put a reference to us for this, but they indeed are on their own
>>> wrt how to interpret the structure.
>>>

>> In Prov, are bundles g-snaps?
>
> Strictly speaking, no, since PROV-DM defines its own data model which
> is not based on RDF. But the data model maps very well with datasets:
> a PROV document is made of:
>  - a "toplevel instance" consisting of a set of PROV statements,
>  - and zero or more "named instances" called bundles.
>
> PROV statements look like n-ary relation, but we know that they can be
> expressed with a set of triples. So, as far as the syntactic structure
> is concerned, yes it fits very well the dataset structure.
>

>  (It looks like it to me, from a cursory
>> reading.) So the weakness here is that we haven't provided them any way
>> to name g-snaps?
>
> No, the weakness is that we haven't indicated any relationship between
> the "graph IRI" and the content, nor any meaning for <n,g> pairs, nor
> any relationship between what the "unnamed graph" says and what the
> "named graphs" say. But they could define their own understanding of
> what's a dataset, as long as it is clearly stated in their specs.
>

>> I imagine the use cases include naming them without using TriG (or N3),
>> so that suggests the only viable solution is static g-boxes -- that is,
>> Web Pages of RDF that promise not to change.
>
> I think TriG works too, even better.
>

>> I can't quite decide if, engineering-wise, that's brilliant or
>> ridiculous. As an software developer, I'd probably like some stronger
>> guarantees, such as a hash, or the contents of the bundles being
>> transmitted in the same document as the assertions about them. The easy
>> solution would be a convention for including the hash of the contents in
>> the URL. Standards-wise, I guess that looks something like
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-farrell-decade-ni-10 (although I'd
>> approach it rather differently, myself).
>
> But I think TriG does work here, as a syntax, so there may not be any
> need for such a thing.

So, they're okay with never using RDF/XML or Turtle or RDFa and always
using TriG or JSON-LD if there are any bundles involved in the
provenance data?    If so, yes, that would simplify things. Then they
just need to say a few words about <n,g> pairs, and they're all set.

     -- Sandro