Re: Sloppy inference rules

On Nov 19, 2012, at 7:28 AM, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> In general,  I think this is going in a better direction.
>

> 1)  A bnode as a predicate is, I find, sometimes valuable.

I agree.

>  It doesn't change the RDFs of things, it does allow to state things about the predicate without having to invent URIs on the fly which is sometimes (a) a pain to go in running code and (b) a deliberate wish not to make something you have to then support and nurture as a public Property.
>

> <JoesHomePage.html>   [  sandro:parallelProperty fb:likes  ]  <RockyHorrorShow.html> .
>
> :Alice  [ is owl:inverseOf  ex:supervisor ]  :Bob.
>

> Bnode Properties, though not in the predicate slot in the statement, the tabulator
> will use if it find something like:
>
> :child a property, rdfs:label "parent", owl:inverseOf [rdfs:label "parent" ].
>

> 2) Literals as predicates? No thanks.

I also agree, this is a minority taste. It is legal is ISO Common Logic, and we did find an actual use for it, but we could just as easily done the job without needing this peculiarity. And it would raise a host of nasty semantics to deal with things like ill-typed literals used as predicates. So, nix to that.

How about literals in subject position in a triple?

Pat

> In a view of the world I find convenient, literals and properties
> are disjoint.
>
> Also I assume
>
> {   ?s ?p ?o } => { ?p a rdf:Property }.
>
> So to say
>
> 	Alice 3 Bob
>
> would give an inconstancy.  You could say it wasn't the RDF graph level.
>
> So I'd be content to see parsers which accepted a number as a property I suppose,
> but my system would flag it as an error at the next stage.
>
> It is good to be able to flag it as an error, as Turtle is getting
> toward the undesirable state for a language where
> almost anything you write will parse, and so ability to trap typos is reduced.

Good point.