Re: B-scopes

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:10:42 +0000
Cc: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>, RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Alex Hall <alexhall@revelytix.com>
Hi Alex,

On 16 Nov 2012, at 16:28, Alex Hall wrote:
>> [[
>> A *blank node identifier* is a Unicode string that is not an IRI.
> Minor nit-pick: An IRI is just a Unicode string that follows a certain format. A blank-node identifier string could be a valid IRI (modulo the syntax rules for bnode labels in the serialization language) in the same sense that a literal string could also be a valid IRI. We just choose to treat blank node labels and IRIs as distinct types of things.

Fair point. I added the restriction as I hoped to remove a possible source of confusion, but perhaps there are better way of doing this.

Condensed proposal:

A *blank node* is a *blank node identifier*, being a Unicode string, in a scope.

Every RDF document forms its own, self-contained *scope* for blank nodes. The handling of scopes outside of RDF documents (for example, in RDF stores) is implementation-dependent. Other specifications MAY impose additional scoping rules.

The whole thing, with some additional changes, is here:

I've done a few more changes in an attempt to address Andy's concerns. I try to make clearer there *may* be clashes between blank node identifiers because they don't *have* to be unique, and in that case blank nodes need to be relabelled.