Re: Ill-typed vs. inconsistent?

Le 14/11/2012 21:41, Pierre-Antoine Champin a écrit :
<skip>

>>> If we decide to bite that bullet, then this could be endorsed in the
>>> semantic condition for a *graph*:
>>>
>>>     if E is a ground RDF graph then I(E) = false if I(E') = false for some
>>> triple E' in E,
>>>     or if I(E') is not in LV for some typed literal E' in V,
>>>     otherwise I(E) =true.
>>
>> Ouch. I don't like the fact that the notion of type comes in at the
>> level of ground-graph simple entailment.
>>

> I don't see how my proposal above makes the notion of type more present
> than it was before:
> * typed literals are a subset of V, they were already there
> * LV is a distinguished subset of IR in *all* interpretation, it was
> already there.

Ok, point taken.

> I don't believe (nor intend) that the proposal above changes the result of
> simple entailment.

True.

> The only change is that, in order to satisfy the following graph:
>
>    :a :b "foo"^^xsd:integer .
>
> an interpretation will have to verify
>
>    IL("foo"^^xsd:integer) is in LV
>
> As nothing, in simple entailment, can constrain LV in any way,
> nothing prevents a graph consistent with the current condition to have a
> satisfying interpretation that meets the condition I propose.
>
> On the other hand, under XSD-entailment, as "foo" is not a valid lexical
> form for xsd:integer,
> the semantic conditions for datatypes impose to every interpretation that
>
>    IL("foo"^^xsd:integer) is not in LV
>
> so no XSD-interpretation can satisfy the graph above under the condition I
> propose.
>

> Again, what I'm trying to model is the intuition that any typed literal is
> claiming that its lexical form is indeed a lexical value of its datatype
> (in rdf-mt parlance: they denote something in LV). This claim is neutral in
> simple-entailment, where datatypes have no special meaning (LV is not
> constrained). It has some impact in D-entailment (reflected in rdf-mt by
> the semantic conditions for datatypes that constraing what can and cannot
> be in LV).
>
> Or do you object to this intuition? I had the impression that your proposal
> was going that way too...
>
> The more I think of this issue, the more I believe that ill-typed
>> literals should be a syntax error. An application that supports a
>> datatype should reject RDF graphs that do not write literals of that
>> type properly.
>>

> That can work of course.
> But that makes RDF+XSD a sublanguage of RDF, just like OWL-DL is.
> Worse, that makes RDF+D (with D any set of datatypes) a different
> sublanguage.

Yes.

> Makes me feel uneasy.

Not me. I like it in fact, and it does not prevent applications that
support a datatype to actually handle ill-typed literals and so,
effectively work on full RDF. The syntactic restrictions of OWL DL do
not prevent DL tools from supporting most RDF graphs (e.g., Protégé 4,
and OWL 2 *DL* editor, can load any RDF files; Pellet, HermiT, FacT++,
etc can reason on a significant set of non-OWL-DL ontologies).
I also suspect that there are Turtle parsers that can parse certain
syntax errors (e.g., interpreting rdf:type correctly when the prefix
rdf: is not defined).

AZ