Re: Ill-typed vs. inconsistent?

Le 14/11/2012 11:19, Pierre-Antoine Champin a écrit :
> Pat,
>
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Pat Hayes<phayes@ihmc.us>  wrote:
>
>> What I still don't follow is, why anyone who understands what an
>> inconsistency is, would even form the idea that an ill-typed literal would
>> be an inconsistency. It's not the distinction that needs explaining, it's
>> why anyone would treat them as similar in the first place.  Illformedness
>> is not even in the same category as an inconsistency. Literals aren't true
>> or false by themselves.
>>

> I think the divergence of opinion comes from the fact that
>
> * you see typed literals merely as terms (which, strictly speaking, they
> are), and a term can not be False; it just denotes something ;
>
> * others (at least myself!) see a little more in them, namely: an implicit
> assertion that the denoted thing is indeed in the value space of the
> datatype.
>
> If we decide to bite that bullet, then this could be endorsed in the
> semantic condition for a *graph*:
>
>    if E is a ground RDF graph then I(E) = false if I(E') = false for some
> triple E' in E,
>    or if I(E') is not in LV for some typed literal E' in V,
>    otherwise I(E) =true.

Ouch. I don't like the fact that the notion of type comes in at the
level of ground-graph simple entailment.

The more I think of this issue, the more I believe that ill-typed
literals should be a syntax error. An application that supports a
datatype should reject RDF graphs that do not write literals of that
type properly.

Note that in OWL 2 Structural Specification and Functional Style Syntax,
it is required that:

"The lexical form of each literal occurring in an OWL 2 DL ontology MUST
belong to the lexical space of the literal's datatype."

cf. Section 5.7 http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Literals.

AZ

--
Antoine Zimmermann