Re: RDF-ISSUE-109 (ill-typed-so-what): What's the consequence of a literal being ill-typed? [RDF Concepts]

Le 13/11/2012 10:50, Pat Hayes a écrit :

> On Nov 13, 2012, at 1:31 AM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:

>>> You completely miss the point. Nothing is being "singled out" in
>>> the 2004 design. Inconsistency isn't something you get to
>>> "declare", it's a word with a technical meaning. It means, the
>>> graph is false in every interpretation. You get to define truth
>>> conditions on triples, and then consistency is a product of
>>> that.
>>>
>>> So, you want

>>> to be always false in any XSD-interpretation, no matter what :a
>>> and :b are interpreted to mean, right? That is what it means to
>>> say that this triple is XSD-inconsistent.
>>>
>>> I don't think this is possible without tweaking the basic RDF
>>> semantic rules.
>>>
>>> Here's the only way I can see of doing it. We require the
>>> universe of every interpretation to contain a special semantic
>>> value called "error", and we stipulate that no relational
>>> extensions ever contain a pair <x, error>, and we also tweak the
>>> blank node conditions so that bnodes are never mapped to error.
>>> Then we say that any ill-formed literal is required to denote
>>> error. This ensures that all triples with an ill-formed literal
>>> will be false, so such graphs are always inconsistent. Note, this
>>> has to be done in the basic RDF semantics, not just in the XSD
>>> semantics, since adding datatypes to literals doesn't change what
>>> URIs like :a and :b mean.
>>
>> I was thinking of something else:
>>
>> if <d> is an IRI in the datatype map, then for any character string
>> aaa in the vocabulary V, < I(aaa^^<d>),I(<d>) > in
>> IEXP(I(rdf:type)).
>>
>> For instance, if we have:
>>
>> <s> <p> "xyz"^^xsd:integer .
>>
>> By definition of D-interpretation, "xyz"^^xsd:integer has to be
>> interpreted as a non literal. But with the constraint I just
>> stated, the resource denoted by "xyz"^^xsd:integer must be of type
>> xsd:integer, which, by virtue of XSD only contains integers, that
>> are literals. Inconsistency!
>
> Yes, I thought of that, but I don't think it works. What you get is
> an inconsistency in the metatheory, ie in the semantic conditions
> themselves, not that the graph itself is false. I mean, if the
> semantics says that something has to not be in LV and the semantics
> also says that this same thing, whatever it is, has to be in LV, then
> its the *semantics* which is inconsistent. What we want is that the
> graph should be false in every interpretation, not that the semantics
> should break :-)

Not really but yes, it's weird. It means that there is no
D-interpretation over a vocabulary that includes an ill-typed literals.
This could work but I don't quite foresee the consequences.

> I think allowing LV to be partial is the simplest and most intuitive
> way to make this work. See my most recent email to Richard.

Possibly yes.