Re: Sloppy inference rules

On Nov 7, 2012, at 7:02 PM, Ivan Herman wrote:

> Ah! I think you misunderstood me. I did not mean to exchange bnodes in general; I realize that this would not work.
>
> What I meant was the following. The current rule set associates each literal with a fresh bnode; my understanding is that a new graph is created replacing each literal with this associated counterpart for the rule engine; at the end of processing these bnodes are switched back to the original literals. What I meant is that, today, we could those associations using skolems I believe instead of bnodes.

Ah, I see. You might be right, I would have to look at the details more carefully. There still remains the awkwardness that introducing any skolem name is not logically valid, so keeping these rules logically correct would be very tricky. We would have to treat the triples with skolem names as "illegal" in the way that I am proposing to do for generalized triples, ie they get filtered out of the results before validity is declared. Not sure that much is gained, therefore. But I promise to bear the idea in mind and check it out.

> Of course, if we use the generalized triple approach for the rules then that full association business becomes unnecessary...

Quite.

Pat