Re: RDF-ISSUE-103 (dereferenceable-iris): Make dereferenceable IRIs a SHOULD in RDF Concepts [RDF Concepts]

On 11/1/12 12:17 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 11/1/12 12:10 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> -1 from me also. If the term "linked data" means anything, then it is
>> not determined by the format in use. RDF can be used for linked data
>> but it can also be used in other ways, and data in pretty much any
>> format that allows URIs can be linked data.
>>
>> Pat
> Amen! The challenge at hand is getting a majority of members of this
> group to accept this reality.
>
> For the record: Your characterization mirrors the view I've held and
> pushed for years.
>

> Kingsley

To be a little clearer, de-referencable URIs as entity denotation
mechanism is ground zero for Linked Data. Then we have to understand
additional items from TimBL's meme re:

1. URIs resolve to description (descriptor) documents -- via implicit or
explicit indirection (URI styles affects the nature of said indirection)
2. Description documents are comprised of structured content that
describe URI's referent
3. Structured Content takes the form of an entity relationship graph.

Enter RDF as an option for adding:

1. Explicit (rather than implicit) entity relationship semantics --
discernible to humans and machines.

Enter SPARQL as an option for:

1. Implementing Name->Address indirection  that enables entity names
resolve to entity description documents comprised of entity relationship
graph based content
2. Other wonderful stuff that an intensional query language facilitates
when applied to machine discernible entity relationship graph based
content (data).

Everything has its place in this narrative, we only get into trouble
when we conflate these items which ultimately come across as riddles (of
the most frustrating kind) to unsuspecting end-users, developers, and
integrators (or middleware plumbers).

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen