Re: status of xsd:duration in RDF

On May 19, 2012, at 10:28 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:

> Peter,
>
> this mail arrived as a question to your question, and I would like to answer it. I think that:
>
> - yes, duration would just be 'added' to the list but there is no planned change on the 'status' of these types regarding the RDF semantics.
> - actually, though not related to duration: would the fact that XMLLiteral becomes optional mean that D-entailment would not refer to this any more?

It would refer to it, but it would be listed along with the XSD suite as being optional (part of a D) rather than built into RDF entailment. Yes, this should affect OWL and other entailment regimes which are built on RDF. I think it will make them easier, or else they are free to state that this datatype is built into OWL. Either way, something changes, if only editorial.

We could help with this by saying that semantic extensions MAY choose to treat XMLLIteral as a built-in datatype. That lets them off the hook editorially. But we should check with them.

Pat