Re: Making progress on graphs

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 18:14:45 +0100
Cc: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>, public-rdf-wg@w3.org
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
On 18 May 2012, at 16:53, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> I think when we get to the point of having a test suite, and all the
> people with quad-based systems realize they have to implement an
> additional table of empty named graphs in order to pass the test suite,
> they'll complain.

In this WG:

Number of quad-based system implementers that have stated that they're ok with an abstract syntax that supports empty graphs: Four.

Number of quad-based system implementers that are not ok with an abstract syntax that supports empty graphs: Zero.

Number of team contacts who threatened a formal objection with the justification that quad-based system implementers will not be ok with an abstract syntax that supports empty graphs: One.

Number of graph-related issues resolved: Zero.

(People with quad-based systems have already agreed to use an abstract syntax with empty graphs in SPARQL 1.0 Query, SPARQL 1.1 Query, and SPARQL 1.1 Update. Where necessary, they've made sure that these specs contain provisions and clauses that allow them to implement these abstract syntaxes without additional cost. I don't think they will object to RDF 1.1 adopting the same or a very similar data model.)

> But personally, I can live with it.

Ok, great. I take it that you no longer object to my proposal on resolving some graph issues then?

[[
PROPOSAL: The abstract syntax for working with multiple graphs in RDF consists of a default graph and zero or more pairs of IRI and graph. This resolves ISSUE-5 (“no”), ISSUE-22 (“yes”), ISSUE-28 (“no”), ISSUE-29 (“yes”), ISSUE-30 (“they are isomorphic”), ISSUE-33 (“no”).
]]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-wg/2012May/0290.html