Re: RDF Semantics Editors Draft?

On May 13, 2012, at 3:48 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> Hi Pat,
>
> On 13 May 2012, at 07:59, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> A modified suggestion: put the rules into the same document as the test cases.
>
> As said before, the test cases document is to document a collection of stuff that can be automatically checked using a test harness.

Hmm, OK. Then let us have a wholly new document which just describes the rules, or perhaps in an appendix to the Primer. I would like to separate the rules from the semantics: they really are separate topics. The rules are a kind of introduction to implementing reasoners, although they are pretty awful when viewed in this light.

>> We will try to make this as complete as we can, but will not claim nor set out to prove that they are indeed complete. (That alone will get rid of pages of impenetrable maths.)
>
> Well, we have a form that many readers reportedly find easier to understand, and one that they find harder. As long as they're known to be equivalent,

They are not equivalent. The rules specify one, rather bad, way to implement a reasoner, and do so in an ad-hoc manner invented for this document. The model theory gives a general method for determining validity of any set of inference rules and a general definition of consistency, using ideas which have been accepted as foundational for half a century.  To make the first one normative is simply ridiculous.

> I think it doesn't matter too much which one is informative and which one is normative.

I think it matters hugely.

> If, on the other hand, we do not know whether both are equivalent, then the only responsible thing is to make the easier form normative.
>
>> Along with this, let us strip out all the attempted exposition and 'tutorial' content from the semantics document and have it be strictly for readers who know what words like "interpretation" and "consistent" mean. This will be enough for readers who need to know this stuff, and apparently this tutorial content is irrelevant for the general reader in any case, since none of them can understand it. It will make the document a lot shorter.
>
> I'm ok with that. It's a specification, not a primer.

Glad we agree :-)

>> I couild try to write a short explanation of how to test a proposed inference for validity by constructing a formal counterexample. This might give naive readers a better grasp of how to connect interpretations with rules, in fact. It could also go into the 'test cases' document, or even into the primer somewhere (?)
>
> Not keen on having this in the test cases. Covering more of the semantics in the Primer is an intriguing idea.

It might help. It can be expressed in non-mathematical terms. I will take a stab at producing some text for this.

Pat