Re: rdf-spaces

On 9 May 2012, at 07:04, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 09/05/12 14:35, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>> Following the general outcry against the term "layers", and Guus'
>> endorsement of "spaces", I've renamed it for now.  So the ED is now
>> here:
>>
>>         http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-spaces/index.html#
>>
>> It's not yet clear to me what to discuss, on this topic, if we get there
>> in today's agenda.   One thing does seem a little pressing, because it
>> relates to Turtle:
>>
>> I think it would be great if one could use Turtle in HTML as a dataset
>> language not just a graph language.   The easy way to do this would be
>> to say *if* there's an "id" attribute on any of the script elements
>> containing turtle, the triples parsed from that element go into a named
>> graph and the rest goes into the default graph (along with any RDFa and
>> microdata).
>
> -1
> Don't put speculation and untested ideas in the Turtle spec.
>
> Turtle is an RDF syntax - a graph language.
> TriG in HTML for a dataset language.

Exactly.

>> It would also be nice to have a way to say one wants the triples to
>> *also* go into the default graph
>
> -1
> Don't say anything.  It's statements in a document.

Right. The whole reason quads were implemented was to be able to track what *triples* appears in what documents (typically found on the web, but file: is good too). If you allow/encourage web documents to circumvent this, then you break that.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO
Garlik, a part of Experian