Deprecate most "native" RDF serializations

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 00:42:41 -0400
To: RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
Please send a strong signal out to RDF authors deprecating the following
"native" RDF serializations:

* RDF/XML
* N-Triples
* N3
* TRiG
* N-Quads
* anything else that isn't TURTLE :)

That is, something that we can point people to and say: W3C says not to
use that, don't use it for any future work, put a bullet in the
serialization.

The only officially supported RDF serializations should be:

* TURTLE
* TURTLE Lite

TURTLE Lite would effectively be a subset of TURTLE - N-Quads, or
something that would be N-Quads-like (allowing for either "s p o" or "s
p o c" statements).

Note that I left RDFa and JSON-LD out of this as I don't view them as
"native" RDF serializations. RDFa can express RDF in other Host
Languages, but can be transformed to other things like JSON-LD without
passing through RDF. JSON-LD just happens to have a way to convert it to
RDF and back loss-lessly, but that's a happy side effect of the
serialization.

The goal would be to simplify the dizzying array of options authors have
in front of them right now and send a clear message about what they
should be using and not using.

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: PaySwarm Website for Developers Launched
http://digitalbazaar.com/2012/02/22/new-payswarm-alpha/