Re: regrets and a new spin on contexts

Le 30/04/2012 07:40, Pat Hayes a écrit :

>[skip]
>> Names are syntax. You can't say that we need names to define the
>> semantics and at the same time say that names are not in the
>> syntax.
>
> Of course. (? I am not sure what your point is here.) All I meant was
> that there are two orthogonal issues: how to attach names to (named)
> graphs - which I am here assuming is done using the dataset syntax -
> and how to interpret graphs in contexts, which I am suggesting be
> done by a different syntactic convention than the one you proposed,
> and incorporated into the RDF graph machinery rather than into the
> SPARQL dataset machinery. So datasets are simply a way of 'baptising'
> graphs, and the graphs themselves can 'import' or 'inherit' their
> contexts. However, the actual context semantic machinery is exactly
> like the one you were proposing, and indeed was essentially copied
> from your proposal.

Your examples are given in TriG. TriG is a serialisation syntax for
datasets right?
Now, your proposal describes how to interpret this kind of syntax,
apparently. So it seems to me that it provides a semantics of datasets.
Or am I misunderstanding something?

 > [skip]
>
> And in that way, certainly, this differs from your proposal. It
> amounts to a more substantial change to RDF itself. On the other
> hand, I feel that it provides a more coherent overall picture, and it
> makes the context machinery (or whatever we want to call it) more
> widely and usefully available, since "contexts" can be referred to
> explicitly and linked to in the linked-data sense, rather then being
> restricted to use inside a single dataset. Once this idea (and the
> similarity of context inheritance to owl:imports) occurred to me, I
> became enthusiastic about how generally useful it might be for the
> whole semantic web, so this idea has now somewhat grown beyond the
> narrow question of giving a semantics for datasets.
>
> It may be that your context genie has gotten more outside the bottle
> than you had intended it should :-)

Indeed. BTW, your idea of "rdf:inherits" seems to be compatible with the
dataset proposal.

--
Antoine Zimmermann
ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol