From: antoine.zimmermann@emse.fr
To: public-rdf-wg@w3.org
Sent: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:27:36 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [Graph] abstract syntax for dealing with multiple graphs

I'd like here to leave the conversation on semantics aside and see what
we can do about the abstract syntax that we want to allow for dealing
with multiple graphs.

There seems to be 3 categories of abstract syntaxes in what has been
used as examples so far:

  1) use triples with a "graph-literal-like" syntax:

:g :r { :s :p :o }

or

:g :r ":s :p :o"^^:graph

*Pros:* it's an RDF Graph. No new data model is needed. One just need a
datatype for graph-literals. The concrete syntax is like RDF.
*Cons:* (most) current implementations do not recognised this.
*Issue:* is it really a literal? or a new construct? Are any relation :r
allowed here? do we define a fixed set of relation that can be used with
this syntax? What happens when graph literals are embedded in graph
literals?
*My opinion:* preferably no. This introduces a new concrete domain (RDF
graphs) which is difficult to deal with (e.g., no standard
cannonicalisation). We have no pragmatic experience with this.

  2) Datasets, e.g.,

:g { :s :p :o . :a :b :c . }

*Pros:* datasets are already a standard data model, as part of the
SPARQL rec. TriG would be a natural concrete syntax, and it's already
supported by some implementation. "Normal" RDF graphs are immediately
accessed via the graph "names".
*Cons:* how to define the semantics of datasets? It's a new data model
that would need to be introduced in the concepts of RDF.
*Issue:* are literals / bnodes allowed as "graph names". Are default
graphs allowed as in SPARQL?
*My opinion:* yes we can. See the dataset proposal on the wiki.

  3) N-Quads (or a quad-based syntax),

:s :p :o :g .
:a :b :c :d .

*Pros:* straigforward extension of RDF (triples with a parameter).
Nquads as an obvious concrete syntax. Already used and implemented in
some tools.
*Cons:* relationship with "normal" RDF graph less clear than with datasets.
*Issue:* what is allowed in 4th position? Do "quad-graphs" replace RDF
1.0 graphs or is it a new, distinct data model for dealing with multiple
graph?
*My opinion:* yes as well, in addition to Datasets. In any case,
datasets can be transformed isomorphically into quads and vice versa.

The difference is that datasets are sets of pairs, while quad-graphs are
sets of quadruples. Each one has its own advantages. I would like that
both are presented, and both a TriG-like syntax and a Quad-based syntax
be standardised. NQuads could as well be a standard syntax for
exchanging pure RDF graphs, by simply ommitting the fourth value.

Best,
--
Antoine Zimmermann
ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol