Re: in...of syntax Re: Turtle Last Call: Request for Review

On Jul 30, 2012, at 3:38 PM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 30/07/12 14:20, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>> * Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net> [2012-07-30 08:56-0400]

>>> INSERT DATA is inserting data by specifying it with a syntax. It's
>>> not doing any querying.
>>
>> I think the point remains that we have a pair of assertion language
>> and query language which are nicely matched in that every assertion
>> can be transplanted to the query language and match that assertion.
>> If we add ^:p, it seems that remains true, though it does add some
>> pressure to add that syntax to the CONSTRUCT and update parts of the
>> query language.
>>
>> I'm sort ambivalent about doing this now vs, putting it off for
>> later. Doing it now would be less work overall (we don't need to
>> invent a version number or have people serializing ^:p's cross their
>> fingers hoping consumers' parsers are up to snuff.
>
> I don't think the issue is quite like that.
>
> 1/ Given the number of existing Turtle parsers already out there, isn't that where we already are?  They may not meet the LC spec perfectly but they are all close and doing a fine job today.
>
>> OTOH, it would be
>> nice to get this out before starting another engineering cycle. I
>> guess a +.5 for doing this now. Corresponding -.5 for doing it later,
>> and -.2 for not doing it at all.
>
> 2/ SPARQL Update has completed last call, SPARQL Query is now in (final?) last call.  When does all this small scale refining?  The only consistent I see approaches are halt SPARQL until RDF is ready or take what we have.  Adding just "one more feature" does not seem viable.
>
> The engineering for SPARQL 1.1 is basically done - there are systems already out there.
>
> So if it were a clean slate, I'd agree with you, but I don't think it is, either for Turtle or SPARQL.

BUt surely IF this is a good idea and worth having, which Im assuming it is, then the longer we wait, the more problems there will be with deployed systems out there which don't support it. Kicking the can down the road is not a good way to handle problems of legacy inertia.

Pat