Re: Three solution designs to the first three Graphs use cases

On Jan 27, 2012, at 10:33 , Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 27/01/12 03:45, Sandro Hawke wrote:

>>> What would the data model be?
>>
>> I think: an RDF graph which can have other RDF graphs as values of its
>> triples.  All these graphs would be subgraphs of some greater graph, so
>> they can share b-nodes.
>>
>> (This is what cwm has had implemented since 2001, I think.)
>
> I thought this WG wasn't going there (graph literals).

I am not convinced it is such a huge jump and, if this is the only way to have a clean way forward, we may have to do this. The datatyped literals may be a way forward and, after all, the trig version of using '{' may be considered as a syntactic sugar for a datatyped literal...

Ivan

> The use of explicit triples in another graph to indicate the relationship looks interesting for RDF 1.1.
>
> Whether this should be the default graph or another "system/manifest/??" graph isn't clear to me.  For the dump "use case" it makes some sense to keep them separate.
>

> [[
> In the N3 model, a graph literal is not a subgraph of some single graph otherwise
>
>  :s :p { :x :y :z }
>
> would put
>  triple :x :y :z
>
> into the outer graph (subgraphs being subsets) and it's not quoted
>
> ]]

>>> I think we should not fix a semantics for undeclared relationships.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, it invalidates existing TriG documents which don't exactly
>>> follow the TriG/ABC definition.
>>>
>>> Ditto N-Quads - in a quadstore/database dump or extract you don't
>>> necessary know the semantics.
>>
>> Agreed.   If we settle on a syntax that's compatible with TriG, I think
>> we probable need the TriG subset to have the current TriG semantics --
>> roughly none.
>
> Cool.
>
> 	Andy

----