Re: behavior of turtle vs. HexBinary literals

From: Gavin Carothers <gavin@carothers.name>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:49:46 -0800
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, W3C RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
> As part of the possible cleanup actions...
>
> There has been some discussions on the semantic-web mailing list, started by a question of Henry Story[1], on what is exactly the required behaviour of, say, turtle, with xsd:hexBinary literals. I wonder whether there is anything that the RDF WG has to say about it in a cleaned-up version of the specs...

It appears that Henry is trying to do lexical comparison without
comparing the Canonical Representation. I don't think Turtle, RDF/XML,
or any RDF machinery is really involved here. It seems to be a pure
datatype question. A value space comparison will produce the correct
results every time. If the Canonical Representation was used in Turtle
then the two lexical values would be identical as well.

--Gavin