Re: Thinking on Endorsement use case

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 14:05:44 +0000
Cc: public-rdf-wg@w3.org
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
On 18 Jan 2012, at 10:58, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> Do any use cases *require* graph naming, or can they, maybe less conveniently, always be solved with identifying a notional representation (document, graph serialization) obtained from a place (graph container/g-box) at a point time (i.e. an observation).

There are use cases such as “keep inferred triples separate from asserted triples in an RDF store” that really seem to require graph naming.

The use cases seem to fall into two groups:

1. RDF datasets as a cache/archive of collections of graphs obtained from other sources

2. RDF datasets as a way of managing subsets of a larger RDF graph

Maybe it is true that everything in the first group can be handled by referring to documents or serializations. But I don't think it's possible for the second group.