Re: mitigating cost of 303

* Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> [2012-01-04 09:38-0500]
> On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 08:59 -0500, David Wood wrote:

> > > In confusion or in extra round-trips?
> > >
> > > I have an engineering solution to the latter, which is that hosts be
> > > allowed to expose (via a .well-known URI) some of the rewrite rules they
> > > use.   Then, if I (as a client) find myself getting lots of redirects
> > > from a host, I could look for this redirect-info file, and if it
> > > appears, I can do the redirects in the client, without talking to the
> > > server.
> > >
> > > This wouldn't be only for RDF, but I'd expect only people doing 303 to
> > > care enough to set this up on their hosts or have their clients look for
> > > it.
> > >
> > > The hardest engineering part, I think, is figuring out how to encode the
> > > rewrite rules.
> >
> > Weren't you the editor of RIF in RDF [1]?
>
> *laugh*
>
> I was thinking something more like json:
>
>         [ { verb: "GET", from: "/r/(.*)", to: "/page/$1", code: 303 },
>           { verb: "GET", from: "(/data/.*/[^.])", to: "$1.rdf", code:
>         303 } ]
>
> The second rule assumes everything under /data has a form with no suffix
> (no dots in the last segment) that redirects to the same name with .rdf
> appended.
>
> Doing it in RIF would certainly be an interesting exercise.  (I spent a
> few minutes sketching it now.)  I doubt it would appeal to the target
> audience of http server and client library implementers!

Could try to extend POWDER XML:

  <iriset>
    <includeregex>/r/(.*)</includeregex>
    <redir:path>/path/$1</redir:path>
  </iriset>

which, if you're a keener, has an RDF representation:

  <iriset_1> owl:equivalentClass [
    owl:intersectionOf (
      [
        owl:onProperty powders:matchesregex ;
        owl:hasValue "/r/(.*)"
      ]
      [
        owl:onProperty redir:path ;
        owl:hasValue "/path/$1"
      ] ) .

 - it's POWDER
 + POWDER was hard. no POWDER substitute will be easier.

Of course, a JSON representation of those semantics might be appealing.

--
-ericP