Re: Islands (ACTION-148)

As it is good to get down to earth with use cases, I'll start with the
following case:

[2] would simply consider the 2 graphs to be independent because
possibly, you do not trust :g3 and it's a malevolant piece of RDF. So,
there would not much entailment, even assuming OWL entailment inside
each graphs.

However, if an application is using an internal ontology which happens
to contain the triple :

:age a :FunctionalProperty .

that application may decide that it must be merged with any other graphs
it indexes. Then the same application meets a document with the triple :

:Joe :age 10 .

It mints a URI to put it in a "named" graph (say, :g1) then it meets
another graph later on:

:Joe :age 20 .

It mints a new URI (say :g2). Since the application already have its
internal ontology which it decides to merge with any graph, the
following dataset will be contained in that app RDF store:

:g1 { :Joe :age 10 . :age a :FunctionalProperty .}
:g2 { :Joe :age 30 . :age a :FunctionalProperty .}

This leads to a lot of duplication of course, but it's trivial to
optimise this without repetition. Then you have both assertional data
and terminological data in the same "named" graph, so you can do useful
inferences, which won't affect consistency globally.

AZ.

--
Antoine Zimmermann
ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol