Re: Another try.

Pat,

Le 21/02/2012 23:23, Pat Hayes a écrit :

> On Feb 21, 2012, at 10:00 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>
> [skip]
>

>> All existing vocabularies like FOAF don't say anything about
>> P(S,O,G) so if we just do it as an extension from pairs to triples
>> (triples to quads), then the existing definitions that talk about
>> pairs don't apply any ore do they?
>>
>> Concretely:
>>
>> :g1 {<x>  foaf:age 15 }
>>
>> :g2 {<x>  foaf:age 25 }
>>
>> In a graph foaf:age has a definition (albeit troublesome)..
>
> Right now, this datastore contains a contradiction

It depends on what you mean by "contains". Here, you are assuming
implicitely that a dataset "contains" the merge of the RDF graphs inside
the "named" graphs. It's like assuming that a set of numbers "contains"
the sum of the numbers. In a way it is true, since if I have 5 bags,
each of which contains 5 coins, then I can say that my bags contain 25
coins.

But I do not think this is what is at stake here. I think what's
important is:
  1) what can I do with this dataset?
  2) what can I infer?
  3) is it inconsistent?

Right now, what we have is an answer to 1) via the SPARQL specs, which
define what answers one can get to a query over a dataset. We do not
have an answer to 2) and 3) yet because we do not have a formal
semantics for datasets (contrary to what you said in an email a while
ago). What you propose with the quad-graph semantics is technically a
semantics for datasets, even though you base it on quads for convenience.

AZ.

BTW: even with a merge in the example dataset, there is no
contradiction, formally speaking, but it's just anecdotal.

--
Antoine Zimmermann
ISCOD / LSTI - Institut Henri Fayol