Re: Another try.

On Feb 22, 2012, at 02:14 , Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2012, at 3:43 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:

>>> I was wondering about existing vocabularies.
>>>
>>> If I understand the quad proposal, then all existing vocabularies are technically undefined because they never define P(S,O,G), only P(S,O).
>>
>> No, that is fine. IEXT can be purely a set of triples in the new semantics, so every old interpretation is still a new interpretation. And that does "define" the value of P(S, O, G): its always flase, for any G. But in any case, RDF vocabularies are never *defined*, strictly speaking. They mean whatever their owner specifies them to mean. Right now, for example, any quad with a property in the rdf: or rdfs: namespaces is simply false, as a kind of default, but we are free to change this if we want to (without changing any of the triples, of course.) Actually I would recommend that we don't, since the rdf: and rdfs: vocabularies are not intended to be used 'contextually' (eg they dont change with time and should be resistant to subjective re-interpretation) so it would be good to restrict them to a purely triple-based meaningful use. Then writing something like
>>
>> G: { :A rdfs:subClass :B + }
>>
>> would be formally a contradiction (since that *quad* is defined to be false. because being a subclass isn't comething that you can put into a context. Or, we could decide it was, but then we would need to talk rather a lot about kinds of context and what effect they have on subclassing and so forth.)
>>

> As an alternative, by the way, we could stipulate that IEXT(I(rdf:anything)) contains *every* triple <x y z>  exactly when it contains <x y>. This makes all the unstated quads have the same vlaue as their inner triple, so that the above example would true just when the triple is true by itself. In this case, there is no real difference between writing it with a dot or with a plus sign, since adding the graph name as a context makes no difference to the truth. This is probably a neater option than forcing an inconsistency, in fact. It is a bit like, if someone says,  2+2=4 on Tuesday, just deciding to ignore the "on Tuesday" rather than making an argument about it.
>
> Pat

But the only vocabulary over which we have such control is W3C's vocabularies (RDF(S), OWL, SKOS, whatever). What happens with the others like dcterms or foaf? Wouldn't we still need the '+' syntax somehow

(We would need something else, syntactically. I do not like the '+' sign at that position. But that is obviously a detail.)

Ivan

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153