Re: Another try.

On Feb 21, 2012, at 2:53 AM, William Waites wrote:

> So if we say P(S,O,G) we can add context to our statements, which is
> great. But having used the fourth column like that, we have no way to
> make partitions, which is useful in addition to (not "instead of")
> having context.

? Why not? You can partition the quads any way you like for processing reasons. Maybe I don't follow exactly what you mean by 'partition' (?)

> If I were making a fancy contextual reasoning system using this, I
> think that before long I would end up with a fifth column so I could
> group things.

Well, OK, indeed you might. I recall talking to developers at a SW meeting 18 months ago who were already using quints and remarking that 64bit addressing meant they could easily use sixtuplets for various purposes. The idea outlined would extend to more arguments, of course, though you would need a better syntax to make the needed distinctions. But I think doing just the quads would be a step forward with immediate benefits, and kind of obviously points in a direction for future extensions if they are found useful.

Pat