Re: time and quads and semantics

Hi Pat,

like Antoine, I have clarification questions... In no particular order

- My understanding is that (also attempting to answer some of Antoine's questions) an RDF graph may be the mixture of triples and of quads. In other words, the domain of the IEXT for a property p is the union of binary and ternary vectors. Because IEXT is a function, that also means that having (s,p,o) and (s,p,o,x) in the same graph would not be allowed, right?

- This is a scheme is for quads in general, and not depending on time. So, coming back to the original problem statement, does it mean that you would use the parameter to store time in form of a literal, and you would trust the 'natural' interpretation for those literals that application could use? It does sound all right, just checking... But that means we would have quadstores with possibly literals on the 4th position, I am not sure current quadstores can handle that.

- The approach could work for named graphs, actually. If I use the parameter as a URI then, as you said, we could have this as the 'semantic-free' model, ie, as you call it, a label. But if we want to model the other approach, which says that the name of the graph is a URI with the GET semantics (if you make HTTP GET on that URI then bla bla bla...), this is still 'outside' of the RDF semantics which does not know about HTTP GET. Ie, *if* we want to get that into the formal semantics, that is still to be done. (I say 'If', because the current discussion using some sort of a typing to signal the differences may mean that the HTTP GET semantics is simply described in English terms and is never part of the formal RDF semantics)

- I see how this model could work describing time for specific triples, using the 4th argument for time. But, as far as I could follow, this whole issue came from questions like: if a URI identifies a graph, eg, in the GET semantics, how do I account for the fact that this pairing of URI with a graph is true today, but will not be true tomorrow? After all, I think our primary concern was and is to say something about named graphs. Or does it mean that we have named quadruple graphs, ie, URI-s assigned to a set of quads? This gets a bit hairy for me, and I am a bit concerned about the practical consequences...

- What would that change in the core semantics mean for all the other layers we have on top of RDF? I obviously think of OWL, but also on RIF. We can of course say that it does not affect them, insofar as OWL deals only with triples and it (probably) simply ignores the 4th parameter. However, such a change may open the floodgates for a future revision of OWL that would try to go beyond that. Which is fine if somebody does it, but it may be disruptive for the community. (This remark obviously comes from the W3C Semantic Web Activity lead, and not from a poor engineer who tries to understand that stuff:-)

Hm. Food for thought...

Thanks

Ivan

On Feb 15, 2012, at 07:33 , Pat Hayes wrote:

> OK yall, I promised 2 weeks ago to try to write this down, but it has gotten a little changed since then, so you are getting the newer version. If it seems to be verging off the point, please bear with me for a while.
>
> The issue that started it was, how to deal with the fact that RDF is a 'timeless' description logic, but people often (want to, and therefore will) use it to describe facts that are transient, changing, labile, etc.., and also that are true *now* but might not have been true a while ago or at some time in the future. There is a basic divergence between descriptions that are seen as timeless or outside of time, like mathematical statements or ontological statements, and statements - usually data - which are understood to be relative to a 'present time' and are therefore, like dairy products, always have a use-by date, even if this is implicit. RDF is semantically designed for the former, but gets used for the latter, and what should we do about this? Possible answers range from (do nothing and to hell with the semantics anyway) to (insist that RDF is timeless and say that time-sensitive data MUST be phrased in some rebarbative way involving blank nodes, in order to preserve the semantic purity) but neither extreme is palatable to everyone.
>
> Now, other formal logical notations have met this issue many times, and there is a kind of rough consensus about how to deal with it. Basically, if you want to be able to store the notation and use it later, then it *can't* be based on a time-sensitive 'present-tense' kind of a semantic model: it has to be timeless, at bottom. And then to encode present-tense information in a time-free notation, you have to include a time parameter somewhere. You date-stamp the data, or you have a temporal field in your data table, or you have an extra 'situation' argument in your relations, or some such device. It almost doesnt matter where you put this extra parameter, as long as there is a recognized convention for finding it; but one very common idea is, you make it an extra argument of all your time-sensitive relations (and if you are in AI, you call them 'fluents') So what was a simple property becomes a relationship to a time, what was a binary relation between As and Bs becomes a three-place relation between As, Bs and times (or some other parameter related to times in some known way, a complication I will ignore.)
>
> The snag with doing this in RDF is, of course, that RDF isnt very good at representing three-place relations. In fact, although theoretically simple, it is in practice so awkward that hardly anyone is going to actually do it. You have to introduce things called 'events' or 'holdings' or 'facts' and say that they have a subject and an object and a time, using three triples. Its just like RDF reification, in fact. Blech.

> [...]

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153