Re: Review of XSD Datatypes 1.1 Changes

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 10:51:19 -0800
Cc: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Alex Hall <alexhall@revelytix.com>

On Feb 8, 2012, at 7:14 AM, Alex Hall wrote:

> The difficulty, of course, is that this example involves the comparison of physical data structures in memory, not abstract mathematical values. Since RDF Semantics deals with abstract mathematical values, I've attempted to limit my discussion to that.

Hmmm. The abstract values that RDF semantics talks about can be *anything*, including physical datastructures in memory, if that is what you want the value space to be. But the value space has to be well-defined: if it is p.s.i.m., then it isn't numbers, is all. But RDF doesnt care which you choose. The XSD value spaces are quite well-defined, but they aren't mathematical numbers as usually understood by mathematicians. Which is perfectly fine: some of my best friends are nonstandard models of arithmetic.

Pat