Re: ISSUE-105: Graph vs. dataset syntaxes

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2012, at 12:28 , Sandro Hawke wrote:
>
> > On 12/13/2012 06:35 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:
> >> I find this a sensible compromise...
> >>

> > Me too.   It seems to me basically what SPARQL does, and why it's called
> the "default graph".
> >
> >> For Trig/Turtle this may not be formally relevant because, afaik, Trig
> will have its own media type.

Well, I think it *does* have an impact, especially because Trig has its own
media type:
if you GET something from the web, expecting a single graph, and getting
some Trig (which you can tell immediately from the media-type),
then this gives you guidance on how to handle it.

>> But, for example, if an extension of RDFa is defined some day including
> facilities for graphs, this is probably an approach to follow.
> >>

> > If we agree with this resolution of ISSUE-105, I might suggest this is
> new information and warrants briefly re-visiting this issue:
> > RESOLVED: In TriG, triples of the dataset's default graph MUST be
> surrounded by curly braces.
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/meeting/2012-10-17#resolution_2
> >
> > ... because with this approach it's much more natural to treat the
> name-graph pairs as an ignorable addition to turtle.
> >

> +1

I would tend to agree, but I think I remember someone (Steve?) arguing
against it as they would like their parser to know from the start if they
are dealing with a graph or a dataset, even in the absence of media-type...
Which sounds like a reasonable use-case...

  pa