Re: Minimal dataset semantics

On 23 Aug 2012, at 16:23, Ivan Herman wrote:
> the text says:
>
> [[[
> The interpretation of an RDF dataset is the interpretation of its default graph. The presence or absence of named graphs does not affect the truth of a dataset.
> ]]]

So the second sentence rules out any semantic extensions that make a dataset's truth dependent on the content of some named graph, right?

> whether the mathematical formalism reflects that or not is secondary; if it does not, than it is wrong.
>
> That being said, I presume you refer to the entry in the formalism that says
>
> ∀i,j, i,j=1,…,n: if ui = uj then Gi and Gj are equal.

No, I refer to the entry that says I(ui) = Gi.

Let's say I have datasets A and B, where the graph associated with u1 in A is a, and the graph associated with u1 in B is b. Let's say that a≠b.

Now from I(ui)=Gi it follows that in any interpretation that satisfies A, I(u1)=a. It also follows that in any interpretation that satisfied B, I(u1)=b. Now, can there be any interpretation that satisfies both A and B? No, because that would require a=b.

In other words, there is no interpretation -- no possible arrangement of the universe -- that can make both A and B true. In other words, A contradicts B.

> but it also says:
>
> [[[
> In this section the “equality” of graphs in a dataset means that they are mutually inferable through simple entailment.
> ]]]
>
> So yes, the current quoting semantics does not do your entry (b) below, but I am not sure I understand your statement about the contradiction.

Does the explanation above clear this up?

> But all that may be moot with the recent proposals of Antoine, so this issue may be overran by events.

I'm afraid I didn't manage to follow everything that went on in the thread. What was the outcome? Is there a new minimalist proposal on the table?

Best,
Richard