Re: RDF dataset semantics again

On Aug 21, 2012, at 11:25 , Antoine Zimmermann wrote:

> Ivan,
>

> Le 20/08/2012 18:45, Ivan Herman a écrit :
>> Antoine,
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I try to separate three issues here.
>>
>> 1. Many semantics
>>
>> It is clear that there are various 'semantics' that can be attached
>> to datasets, and they all have their particular difficulties. The
>> operative word here is 'various'...
>>
>> Because there are many of those, the next question is who chooses
>> among those and how.
>
> Is there really *many* of those?

Well... wasn't it you (or was it Pierre-Antoine?) who came up, on some wiki page, with around five?

>> The current document does refer to one
>> alternative that was discussed in the working group, namely to attach
>> types to the graph names. Ie, your first example could be achieved by
>> adding
>>
>> :year1960 rdf:type ex:MergeSemantics .
> > :year2000 rdf:type ex:MergeSemantics etc.
>
> This is possible but it assumes that there is a strong connection between what the graph IRI denotes and the graph itself, at least at the place (context) where these triples are asserted.
>
> In any case, my suggestion is indeed to have a syntactic indicator (like, e.g., ex:MergeSemantics) of what the semantic is. However, I'm not sure we have use cases that would mix several semantics in the same dataset (that is, I'd rather have the semantics fixed on a per dataset basis, rather than on a per named graph basis).

Yes, that is a good point. Which would rather go in direction of a file-level directive. I think what we have to decide first is that we should have some indication somewhere, and worry about the syntactic details later.

The problem with a directive is that it cannot be expressed in RDF. Ie, it becomes syntax dependent and that is a major drawback in my view.

>> to the default graph, defining that semantics along the lines of
>> extending the default graph by a merge of all graphs and let the
>> traditional semantics go (we did discuss this approach at some point,
>> if you remember).
>>
>> I am not 100% sure this typing is perfect and good, but it is a
>> relatively clear way of doing this. Other options that were discussed
>> were to add turtle-style declarations to TriG instead
>>
>> @semantics :year1960 ex:MergeSemantics
>>
>> but that would be very syntax specific, which is not that good
>> either.
>>
>> Reading your mail I saw you refer (if I understand well what you say)
>> to the usage of the HTTP return header to indicate the required
>> semantics for the dataset. This may actually be a working approach,
>> in theory, though I am not sure what would be done with local files.
>> Also, we run into one negative aspects of the HTTPRange14 story:
>> end-users may not necessary have the knowledge and/or the
>> authorization to set the HTTP return header. That would be a serious
>> obstacle.
>
> I was referring to MIME type declaration as an analogy, along with other ways of declaring how the content of resources should be understood on the Web. Taking this for granted, I was arguing that it's only natural to provide the means to declare how to understand a dataset. This should not be put in the HTTP header.

O.k. So if it is not the HTTP header then we fall back to the previous mechanisms...

>> (B.t.w., you claim that "SPARQL queries have a way to ask for a
>> particular regime". Is that correct? AFAIK the choice of the
>> entailment regime in SPARQL is out of band; SPARQL endpoint may
>> publicize different URI-s for the different regimes. That barely
>> works for the general case.)
>
> Yes, sorry. It's the SPARQL service that describes what regime it uses for each of its endpoints. Then the users are required to use the appropriate endpoint if they want a particular regime (and if it's available).
>

>> Bottomline: yes, we may have several semantics but how do we choose
>> between them? Is the typing, though not perfect, good enough for
>> now?
>
> Like SPARQL service description, it's the one who provide the data/service that tells the world what semantics it assumes. But like one can take a SPARQL service description from the Web, modify it and republish it somewhere with false information about entailment regimes, one can also, in principle, change the indicator for the semantics.
>

>> 2. Choice of default
>>
>> Because it seems to be hard to choose a particular semantics, I
>> personally believe we should have a default one that would be as
>> minimal as possible. I realize that we could go one step further and
>> do not define anything at all but, I must admit, I would feel
>> uncomfortable with that. This would require, at the minimum, that at
>> least some *possible* semantics were properly defined and, at the
>> moment, we seem to have difficulties even to define the quoting
>> semantics formally (and we may decide to drop the formalism
>> altogether). I am not optimistic that we could give a comprehensive
>> set of properly defined semantics; at this moment I would be happier
>> defining a very core on, and defining a mechanism whereby communities
>> may define the semantics they would/could use.
> >

>> 3. What is the default
>>
>> The gut feeling we had (or some of us had) was that the quoting
>> semantics seems to be the simplest one hence taking that as a basis.
>> We may of course be wrong, but I have the impression that any choice
>> has its down sides. Note that by choosing the quoting semantics your
>> second example would indeed have no consequence at all (because there
>> is no default graph) but I take that as a feature not a bug: it means
>> that one can adopt more demanding semantic approaches without
>> violating anything.
>
> Yes, there should be a default. The default should be the least constraining (the one that entails the least). In that case, it could be the "quoting semantics", provided that the meaning of the graph IRI is undetermined. All the other semantics are more constraining, leading to more entailments, so they could be made as extensions of the "quoting semantics" indeed.

Antoine, I have the impression that we are actually in agreement. The document we have put forward has two essential points:

- we would have a default semantics in the form of the quoting semantics (and whether the mathematical formalism is the right one or not, and whether we need a mathematical formalism at all becomes a secondary issues)
- we need some extension points, ie, a mechanism whereby the author/owner of the data can convey the information if another semantics is to be used. At this moment I do not see _any_ such mechanism that would perfect, the typing approach that is in the document is suboptimal, but maybe suboptimal is good enough.

And I have the feeling that we actually agree on these.

Where we may have a disagreement is whether this WG should formally define other semantics beyond the quoting one. I am not against it, actually, but I would prefer _not_ to take a decision on that but, rather, finalize the rest, then look at the calendar and the available manpower, and make a decision at that point only. (And, I do not hide that, currently I do not believe this WG will have the time and energy to do it. But I would be very pleased if proven wrong.)

Cheers

Ivan

----