Re: [TURTLE] Turtle Inverse Properties

On 8/20/12 11:16 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 20/08/12 15:24, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> Kingsley,
>>>
>>> I agree that the clarity of triples is the major win with Turtle. We
>>> have been recommending that to people who have got lost in RDF/XML ...
>>> all too many of them!

>>> This an argument for not including reverse path syntax, right? Makes
>>> the syntax close to the triples.  Inverse properties are in the data
>>> model.
>
> """Inverse properties are not in the data model."""

They are in the mental model :-)

>>>     Andy
>>>

>> Andy,
>>
>> I think the extension can be made in a non detrimental way to Turtle. As
>> you know, we support it, but we don't necessarily put it at the front
>> door when introducing Linked Data via Turtle. In fact, I completely
>> forgot about our implementation until I had a conversation with
>> @openlink:ivan .
>>
>> My argument is in support of TimBL's suggestion with the goal of getting
>> it in now without necessarily having it at the front door. Basically, as
>> folks get familiar with Turtle the benefits of the tweak become clearer.
>> This is ultimately about avoiding a future protracted effort -- on the
>> standardization front --  relating to this kind of syntax sugar.
>
> So you support adding "is...of" and are against adding the syntax "^"
> for inverse properties?

No, I think both should be supported where "^" is just shorthand i.e.,
additional syntax sugar.

> Do you support, in your product, the "has" syntax of N3?

Yes, but that happened was committed approx. five minutes ago.

> What about the N3 (different from the proposal here) style "^" and "/"?
>
> (N3 is a lot more than just extra pieces of syntax - it's not (just) a
> data format - it's a proposed way of working and exchanging such
> working (rules) on the web.)

I know.

btw -- I don't see Turtle as just a data format. Its a data
representation language that can also moonlight as a format :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO